c.1960 At a bar in the Denver airport, Professors John Harshbarger (then chair of the UA Geology Department) and T.L. Smiley (then director of the UA Laboratory of Geochronology) sat with several colleagues from the U.S. Geological Survey, waiting for a plane. The USGS colleagues included, among others, Luna Leopold (then chief hydrologist of the USGS Water Resources Division) and Walter Langbein and Nick Matalas (research hydrologists). History does not record what they drank nor where they were going, but we do know what they discussed: "This country needs," said the Survey men, "a university program in hydrology that will teach groundwater and surface water as an integrated discipline, and the University of Arizona is the place to do it." "I agree," John Harshbarger replied, "but we'll need the cooperation of the Survey." "You got it," said Luna. Then and there a tentative program was outlined (probably on the back of an envelope taken from one of John's pockets). ---Eugene Simpson
The First 40, John Harshbarger's initial cohort of students, knows the history of the department. They were there at the beginning, in the midst of all that excitement, turmoil, frustration, and change. But what about the rest of us? It's time for everyone else to catch up! Our deepest gratitude to our storytellers--Peter Schreuder (PHD '74), Ken Schmidt (PHD '71), Jim Leenhouts (PHD '94), Peter Mock (PHD '97)--authors of these trips down memory lane.
- History According to Gene Simpson
- History According to the USGS Survey Men (Special thanks to Jim Leenhouts and our friends and alumni at the USGS for compiling these photos and historical information)
- USGS Short Courses
- Founding & Legacy Faculty
- Deceased Alumni
- From the Desk of / Graduate Bull Sheet / Leaky Aquitard / Phreatic Press
- El Día del Agua y la Atmósfera archives
- HWR 50th Reunion Event
- Hydrology Tournament c. April 1997 Thanks to Dennis Scheall for this one!
- Jim Mathieus' Ode to H2O
- Hoshin Gupta Photo Set, Historical Photos HWR (error 404)
- Dan Stephens Photo Set, HWRD Reunion April 2016
- HWR 50th Tucson Water Field Trip Photos Thanks to Derek Groenendyk for these!
- Bulletin Boards:
- Search Board: Look for an HWR alum--or help us to find one, especially if you have contact info
- Couples Board: If you were a couple then and still a couple now, we want to know about it
- Broadcast Board: Send a message to a friend, a faculty member, or your entire class
- Wonder Board: Ask a question about campus or Tucson
- First Board: Mark your (or your group's) major achievement